8.30.2017

Dress Pattern - Butterick 5982 (ongoing project) updated #1

Fabric Choice and Pattern Cutting 

So after I finished figuring out the pattern pieces,   I had to choose some fabric.  I decided since its my first dress, and I had no idea what the hell I was doing, I would pick a fabric that was safe.  By safe, I mean something that wasn't too expensive (because what if this dress was an entire fail?) but something that wasn't too crazy (like, I'm not going to buy a discount fabric that had like, owls on it.  What if this dress turns out really well but I can't wear it because I hate owls??)  So I stuck with a black broadcloth because LBDs are a classic.  I found this pink lining in the remnants bin (it turned out to be 70% off and I got a whole yard) and thought pink would be cute, minimal, with a small pop of contrast to the black.


As far as cutting out the pattern pieces,  everything was pretty straightforward.  I just followed the cutting layout in the instructions, making sure I knew where the grainline and the folds were where they needed to be.  I put some painter's tape on the right side of  each of the pieces of fabric because when it comes to solid color fabrics, both sides look the same to me.


Mistake #2:  I didn't pre-wash my fabric.  Meaning, if I ever wash this dress, there's a big possibility that it might shrink.  Dammit.  Like I literally thought about it right after I cut out ALL the pieces.  Luckily, the sizing is a little big, so maybe it will magically shrink perfectly to my size?  Oh well.  I'm not going stress about it, I'm just going to keep telling myself that this is a learning project and its not a big deal.  If this project really does fail, I'm going to buy myself a new dress. :::shrugs:::

Up next: constructing the bodice. :-O

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say hello!